Mt.Gassan Trekking Tour
1st Jul. – 17th Sep. Min. 2 people
- ・Climb Mt.Gassan 1984m
- ・Stay at the Gassan summit hut 1 night
- ・Visit Yudono-san Shrine
- ・English speaking mountain guide
On this tour you will hike up Gassan which is a 1984 meter high mountain and then hike down to Yudonosan shrine. You will walk about 3-4 hours each day. This tour is suitable for people who are able to walk for 2-3 consecutive hours on flat level ground.
On the 1st day you will check in at PolePole and prepare for hiking the next day.
On the 2nd day you will take a lift from Ubasawaguchi. This lift will take you up to 1400 meters. From there you will start hiking. Along the way we will walk through a valley that summer has forgotten. Even in August there still will be a little snow left in the valley. We will take a hiking path almost all the way up. After September 15th you will be able to enjoy seeing colorful autumn leaves. You will stay a night in a mountain hut on the summit of Gassan, at 1984 meters. Even at this extreme location the hut is famous for preparing really good food, you will not be disappointed. If the sky is clear at night you will be able to enjoy a spectacular view of millions of stars and the night view of Yamagata.
On the 3rd day you will leave the hut very early in the morning and hike to Yudonosan Shrine. On the way there we will encounter a few steep sections where we will have to use ladders. When you enter Yudonosan Shrine, you will have to take off your socks and shoes. There you will climb up a huge mysterious boulder from which hot water gushes out. The boulder is considered very sacred and many people make pilgrimages here. At this shrine there is alsoa natural hot spring where you can soak your feet in the water. After hiking for 2 days soaking your feet will be a welcomed reward. After that we will take you to Yamagata Station.
This tour is only available for people who can walk at least 2-3 hours on level ground.
DepartureYamagata station west exit taxi pool
Departure TimePlease arrive by 13:50 PM for a prompt departure at 14:00 AM.
Return TimeApproximately 15:00 PM in Yamagata station
Dress CodeTrekking gear and wear
IncludeTransportation in YamagataGuideDinnerLunchBreakfastAccomodation
Not IncludedTrain ticketAir ticket
Day 1: Departure
- 14:00 Yamagata station / Guide pick you up
- 15:00 Check in Gassan Pole Pole Resort
- 16:00 Free time / MTB cycling / Fishing / Rest
- 18:00 Dinner
- Accommodation : Gassan Pole Pole Resort Villa (Western bed type room)
- Meals : Dinner including
Day 2: Climb to Mt.Gassan
- 8:00 Breakfast
- 9:00 Start to trek walk about 3 hours without rest
- 12:00 Lunch at mountain
- 14:00 Reach the summit
- 17:00 Dinner at mountain hut
- 19:00 Stargazing
- Accommodation : Mt.Gassan summit mountain hut (Japanese Tatami room)
- Meals : Breakfast, lunch, and dinner including
Day 3: Visit Yudono-san shrine
- 5:00 Wake up and breakfast
- 6:00 Start to trek walk about 4 hours without rest
- 13:00 Yudono-san Shrine arrive
- 15:00 Arrive at Yamagata station
History of the Mountain
GassanGas-san is the highest of the three mountains of Dewa Sanzan. Its mountaintop shrine lies 1984 meters above sea level, is closed for the majority of the year due to heavy snowfall and is inaccessible by road. Only the summer months see hundreds of pilgrims and tourists hiking up to this impressive shrine. The hiking trail leading up to Gas-san's peak passes through marshland, wild alpine flower fields and patches of snow, even in midsummer. While not particularly steep, the rocky, treeless trail can be challenging due to its exposure. Rain makes the rocks slippery and there is no protection from either strong wind or sun. However, the absence of tree cover allows hikers to fully enjoy the spectacular mountain scenery during their 2.5 to 3 hour ascent. Rest stations at the top and in the middle of the trail sell water and provide some opportunity to rest alongside fellow walkers. The trail, which descends from Gas-san's summit to Yudono-san, is steeper and more challenging. The descent takes about 2.5 hours.
Yudono-sanYudono-san is one of the three mountains of Dewa Sanzan, and its shrine is considered to be a kind of inner sanctum. In fact, Yudono-san is so sacred that one is neither to talk nor hear of what happens inside the shrine. Despite its secrecy and mystery, Yudono-san is relatively easily accessible via a toll road. Located in a valley below the summit, the shrine is only 200 meters from the parking lot. The traditional approach, however, is more challenging, consisting of a descent via a steep hiking trail from the summit of Gas-san. Yudono-san's shrine maintains a strict ban on photography. Visitors must walk a short final portion of stoned pathway from the bus stop to enter the shrine itself, where they are asked to remove their shoes to begin purification rites in their bare feet. Rather than divulge any more of Yudono-san's secret interior, we recommend travelers make their own visit to this impressive shrine. Like Gas-san, Yudono-san closes during the winter months, although it is still feasible to visit in poor weather thanks to its road access. Because Yudono-san is the mountain symbolizing rebirth, it is typically the final Dewa Sanzan shrine visited by pilgrims after Haguro-san (birth) and Gas-san(death).
Meeting Point14:00 at Yamagata station West Exit Taxi Pool
Tour Cost:JPY69,000 / person Minimum 2 pople
- 1. Day 1 accommodation in Pole Pole Resort Villa
- 2. Day 2 accommodation in summit of Mt.Gassan hut
- 3. Day 1 dinner
- 4. Day 2 breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- 5. Day 3 breakfast and lunch
- 6. Chair lift ticket
- 7. Entry fee to Yudono-san shrine and Mt.Gassan shrine
- 8. English speaking mountain guide
- 9. Transportation from Yamagata station / airport
Price does not include:
- Air ticket and train ticket to Yamagata
- International air fair
- Costs occurred during your free time
- Activities that does not appear on the itinerary
- Personal expenses
- From 60days up until 30days before the day 30,000JYP.
- From 29days up until 20days before the day 60% of the total fee.
- From 19days up until 10days before the day 70% of the total fee.
- From 9days up until 4days before the day 80% of the total fee.
- From 3days up until the day before the day 90% of the total fee.
- On the day 100% of the total fee.