Mt.Gassan Trekking Tour
1st Jul. – 17th Sep. Min. 2 person go.
- ・Climb 1984m of Mt.Gassan
- ・Stay Mt.Gassan summit hut 1 night
- ・Visit Yudono-san Shrine
- ・Attend English speaking mountain guide
DepartureYamagata station west exit taxi pool
Departure TimePlease arrive by 13:50 PM for a prompt departure at 14:00 AM.
Return TimeApproximately 15:00 PM in Yamagata station
Dress CodeTrekking gear and wear
IncludeTransportation in YamagataGuideDinnerLunchBreakfastAccomodation
Not IncludedTrain ticketAir ticket
Day 1: Departure
- 14:00 Yamagata station / Guide pick you up
- 15:00 Check in Gassan Pole Pole Resort
- 16:00 Free time / MTB cycling / Fishing / Rest
- 18:00 Dinner
- Accommodation : Gassan Pole Pole Resort Villa (Western bed type room)
- Meals : Dinner including
Day 2: Climb to Mt.Gassan
- 8:00 Breakfast
- 9:00 Start to trek walk about 3 hours without rest
- 12:00 Lunch at mountain
- 14:00 Reach the summit
- 17:00 Dinner at mountain hut
- 19:00 Stargazing
- Accommodation : Mt.Gassan summit mountain hut (Japanese Tatami room)
- Meals : Breakfast, lunch, and dinner including
Day 3: Visit Yudono-san shrine
- 5:00 Wake up and breakfast
- 6:00 Start to trek walk about 4 hours without rest
- 13:00 Yudono-san Shrine arrive
- 15:00 Arrive at Yamagata station
History of the Mountain
GassanGas-san is the highest of the three mountains of Dewa Sanzan. Its mountaintop shrine lies 1984 meters above sea level, is closed for the majority of the year due to heavy snowfall and is inaccessible by road. Only the summer months see hundreds of pilgrims and tourists hiking up to this impressive shrine. The hiking trail leading up to Gas-san's peak passes through marshland, wild alpine flower fields and patches of snow, even in midsummer. While not particularly steep, the rocky, treeless trail can be challenging due to its exposure. Rain makes the rocks slippery and there is no protection from either strong wind or sun. However, the absence of tree cover allows hikers to fully enjoy the spectacular mountain scenery during their 2.5 to 3 hour ascent. Rest stations at the top and in the middle of the trail sell water and provide some opportunity to rest alongside fellow walkers. The trail, which descends from Gas-san's summit to Yudono-san, is steeper and more challenging. The descent takes about 2.5 hours.
Yudono-sanYudono-san is one of the three mountains of Dewa Sanzan, and its shrine is considered to be a kind of inner sanctum. In fact, Yudono-san is so sacred that one is neither to talk nor hear of what happens inside the shrine. Despite its secrecy and mystery, Yudono-san is relatively easily accessible via a toll road. Located in a valley below the summit, the shrine is only 200 meters from the parking lot. The traditional approach, however, is more challenging, consisting of a descent via a steep hiking trail from the summit of Gas-san. Yudono-san's shrine maintains a strict ban on photography. Visitors must walk a short final portion of stoned pathway from the bus stop to enter the shrine itself, where they are asked to remove their shoes to begin purification rites in their bare feet. Rather than divulge any more of Yudono-san's secret interior, we recommend travelers make their own visit to this impressive shrine. Like Gas-san, Yudono-san closes during the winter months, although it is still feasible to visit in poor weather thanks to its road access. Because Yudono-san is the mountain symbolizing rebirth, it is typically the final Dewa Sanzan shrine visited by pilgrims after Haguro-san (birth) and Gas-san(death).
Meeting Point14:00 at Yamagata station West Exit Taxi Pool
Tour Cost:JPY69,000 / person Minimum 2 person go
- 1. Day 1 accommodation in Pole Pole Resort Villa
- 2. Day 2 accommodation in summit of Mt.Gassan hut
- 3. Day 1 dinner
- 4. Day 2 breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- 5. Day 3 breakfast and lunch
- 6. Chair lift ticket
- 7. Entry fee to Yudono-san shrine and Mt.Gassan shrine
- 8. English speaking mountain guide
- 9. Transportation from Yamagata station / airport
Price does not include:
- 1. Air ticket and train ticket to Yamagata
- 2. International air
- 3. Tips
- 4. Drink fee
- 5. All fee in Free time
- 6. Cost that does not appear on the itinerary
- 7. Individual expense
- From 60days up until 30days before the day 30,000JYP.
- From 29days up until 20days before the day 60% of the total fee.
- From 19days up until 10days before the day 70% of the total fee.
- From 9days up until 4days before the day 80% of the total fee.
- From 3days up until the day before the day 90% of the total fee.
- On the day 100% of the total fee.